DNS Amplification Attacks

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Wed Mar 22 20:33:34 UTC 2006

Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Andy Davidson:
>

>>DNS looking glasses, in much the same way that we use web-form based
>>BGP or traceroute looking glasses today.
>

> Open resolvers are far better then looking glasses to assess the state
> of DNS, and we are campaigning against them.  You can't have it both
> ways. 8-(

It is not as good as an open resolver but maybe IEN116 nameservers
(the old port 42 nameserver) could do too but maybe some windows boxes
would break. Originally the port 42 nameserver was left for dying but
with AXFR gone and open resolvers gone it might be a good idea to give
them a revival.

Cheers
Peter and Karin

--