Network graphics tools

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at gettcomm.com
Wed Mar 22 02:17:44 UTC 2006

Much of the enterprise market seems wedded to Visio as their network
graphics tool, which locks them into Windows. Personally, I hate both
little pictures of equipment and Cisco hockey-puck icons; I much
prefer things like rectangles saying "7507 STL-1" or "M160 NYC-3".

Assuming you use *NIX platforms (including BSD under Mac OS X), what
are your preferred tools for network drawings, both for internal and
external use?  I'd hate to be driven to Windows only because I need
Visio.