DNS Amplification Attacks

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Mon Mar 20 21:50:11 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 20, 2006 at 11:30:46PM +0200, Gadi Evron wrote:
> Where did that come from? I respect you but please, let's have a
> technical discussion. This is important enough for us all to avoid the
> flame-wars for now. Don't move this thread to politics or lunacies.

Then leave governments out of it, and re-phrase the question in this
way.  If one can not run one's own DNS server on the public Internet,
but must rely on a DNS service supplier for your DNS, and at some point
you start to wonder about the technical competence or correct configura-
tion of the DNS service supplier whose DNS you are configured to use,
and all other DNS servers out there are configured to refuse recursive
service except perhaps to their own population, than against what can
you compare the DNS service that you are getting, to see whether it is
giving you what "the world" should be seeing?

--
Joe Yao