Security problem in PPPoE connection

Martin Hannigan hannigan at renesys.com
Mon Mar 13 20:40:59 UTC 2006

At 03:25 PM 3/13/2006, James R. Cutler wrote:
>At 3/13/2006 11:16 AM -0800, Bora Akyol wrote:
>
>"Any info on percentages of users that use routers vs Windows boxes? "
>
>Almost 100% of Careful Windows Users use routers.
>Almost 100% of Potential Victims connect directly.
>
>Now, you really meant to ask, what is the ratio of Victims to
>Careful.  Too big, whatever it is.

That depends, maybe you mean Windows->NAT vs. Windows non NAT. I
think there's implications
in router, unless your assuming NAT.

As well, pvlans are prone to fail if not a forethought of
architecture instead of
an after effect. Trying to put legacy networks into a pvlan
architecture is like
putting square pegs in round holes.

My experience has been pvlans cause more trouble than they are worth.

-M<

--
Martin Hannigan                                (c) 617-388-2663
Renesys Corporation                            (w) 617-395-8574
                                                hannigan at renesys.com