Honest Cogent opinions without rhetoric.

Pete Templin petelists at templin.org
Fri Mar 10 14:37:12 UTC 2006

Drew Weaver wrote:

> 	We have heard a lot of negatives about them, about their pricing
> model, about their network, about de-peering with Level 3, etc. What we
> really need is actual information.

Here's a good one about Cogent.  100BaseTX connection from us to a
Cogent Cat3550 ("A").  "A" connects to Houston core router "B".
"Normal" Cogent BGP setup: A announces a /32 on B, B announces full
table, we announce our prefixes to A and nothing to B.  A and B are
(supposedly) directly connected.  Our BGP session with B flapped
numerous times this morning.

Cogent NOCperson said that a flaky router in San Jose had problems, and
had to be rebooted.  As a result, "you couldn't reach your B peer".
Yeah, that makes sense.  Oh, and problems in Miami plus the problems in
San Jose were causing problems in Boston and New York.  Sure.

YMMV, but not a confidence-inspiring answer IMO.

pt