Honest Cogent opinions without rhetoric.

Matthew Crocker matthew at crocker.com
Wed Mar 8 20:07:44 UTC 2006

On Mar 8, 2006, at 9:35 AM, Daniel Golding wrote:
> One way to look at this is that you are getting a very low price
> per mbps
> with Cogent. Therefore, when Cogent's CEO decides its in his best
> interest
> to partition for a week over a depeering situation, their
> customer's role is
> to suck it up. You get what you pay for, and in this case, that means
> mediocre to average transit with periodic partitioning. Frankly,
> for the
> price, that's pretty darn good.

My biggest complaint about Cogent 'Customer Service' is that I'm not
a Cogent customer, I'm a Verio customer that was sold to Cogent.  I'm
still paying the higher Verio bandwidth price but getting the 'not as
good' Cogent bandwidth.  When Cogent decides to depeer is affects me
and I would like credits.  Either that or cancel my Verio priced
contact and replace it with a Cogent priced contact.  If they did
that, I wouldn't mind the occasional depeering.  Trying to explain
that to my sales guy with impossible.

> If your choice is between Cogent and some other provider, you are
> making a
> mistake. Cogent (and other low cost transit providers) can be part
> of a
> balanced stable of transit providers. Folks who single-home to Cogent
> deserve whatever Darwin delivers to them.

That is why I also have 3 providers, just in case 2 of them decide
they don't like each other.

Anyone out there running a RouteScience/Internap box on some Cogent +
other provider bandwidth?  How many routes get moved off/onto Cogent?

--
Matthew S. Crocker
Vice President