Honest Cogent opinions without rhetoric.

Steve Meuse smeuse at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 18:26:10 UTC 2006

On 3/8/06, Daniel Senie <dts at senie.com> wrote:

> At 08:57 AM 3/8/2006, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
>
> >On Mar 8, 2006, at 1:56 AM, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:
> >
> >It's not just cities, it's entire countries.  Try being on a DSL line
> >in France and getting to a Cogent web server in France.
>
> How is this different from being a Comcast cable modem customer in
> New England, trying to connect to a web server also located in New
> England. Packets route through NYC if the user is lucky, but more
> often Chicago or Washington DC. In terms of mileage and latency, just
> how different is that from the DSL case in France you cite?

Boston, or New England in general, is somewhat of a oddity. It has a very
high concentration of users but little to no peering in general. Back in the
mid-late 90's when I was at BBN we tried to do private interconnects with
folks, and did manage a few, but the majority of providers would rather
backhaul to NYC. Our assumption was that (generically) most fiber networks
considered NYC the edge of the North East and the hinterlands north would be
considered spurs or regional rings (or whatever you would like to call
them).

-Steve

--

-Steve