How to measure network quality&performance for voip&gameservers (udp packetloss, delay, jitter,...)

Gunther Stammwitz gstammw at gmx.net
Tue Mar 7 17:06:56 UTC 2006

Hello colleages,

I'm trying to find out how one can measure the performance or quality of a
network for gamers and voip-users.
Both applications are very sensitive to packetloss, delays or jitter since
they're using udp instead of tcp and are very timing critical.

==> Which tools (under linux) are you using in order to measure your own
network ore on of your upstreams in terms of "gameability" or voip-usage?

Ordinary pings won't help since routers are regulary dropping them and even
an end-to-end ping is not perfect since one of the hosts might be busy or
something like that?

Starting your favorite online game and play on a server that is being housed
in your own network isn't the solutions I'm looking for :-(

Your ideas are appreciated :-)

Gunther