shim6 @ NANOG (forwarded note from John Payne)

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Mon Mar 6 16:30:13 UTC 2006

Thus spake "Eliot Lear" <lear at cisco.com>
> Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>> Shim6 is an answer to "what kind of multihoming can we offer to sites
>> without PI space?"; it is yet to be seen if anyone cares about the
>> answer to that question.
>
> This argument is circular.  The only real way to test demand is to offer
> a service and see if customers bite.

I'm not a fan of "build it and they will come" engineering.  One might first
talk to customers and see if your proposal is laughed at, at least.  So far,
that's the most charitable reaction I've seen to shim6.

It's also not encouraging that many of the folks working on shim6 happen to
have PI blocks themselves (despite not qualifying as LIRs); I'm also not a
fan of "it's good enough for everyone else, but not good enough for me."

Stephen Sprunk        "Stupid people surround themselves with smart
CCIE #3723           people.  Smart people surround themselves with
K5SSS         smart people who disagree with them."  --Aaron Sorkin