shim6 @ NANOG (forwarded note from John Payne)

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Mar 6 09:55:11 UTC 2006

On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:

> Let's face it, IPv6 is close enough to IPv4 that any attempt to put a
> price on IPv4 addresses will simply cause a massive migration to free
> and plentiful IPv6 addresses.

Let's say we put a price of $1 per year per IP address you want allocated
to you. For the people really using their IP addresses according to
current policy, this is nothing. For the people with historic allocations
(/8 for instance), they would really have to think if it's worth $16m to
keep that /8. Most likely scenario is that this would free up a lot of
IPv4 address space.

If this causes migration to IPv6, well, so be it. I seriously doubt it,
only thing I think would happen is that we would free up IPv4 space and it
would live longer.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se