shim6 @ NANOG (forwarded note from John Payne)

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Sun Mar 5 19:43:28 UTC 2006

At 07:43 AM 4/03/2006, Brandon Ross wrote:

>On Fri, 3 Mar 2006, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
>
>>I will bet anyone reading this $ 20 USD right now that what will actually
>>happen is the development of a spot market in IPv4 address space.
>
>That's a sucker bet.
>
>What's worse is that unless people start changing their tune soon and make
>the ownership of IP space official, this will be a black market (like it
>is now, just much bigger).

There is a lot to agree with in this statement, but also perhaps more to do
that just that - how to support such a market such that uniqueness of
current control over address resources is clearly demonstrable is
necessary, but so is coherence of transfer of such control between
consenting parties. I _think_ you are referring to some form of title
registration or similar instrument that could support such a market - yes?

cheers,

    Geoff