shim6 @ NANOG

Edward B. DREGER eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Sun Mar 5 16:39:29 UTC 2006

ME> Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 19:01:14 -0500
ME> From: Marshall Eubanks

ME> So, if we gave every active ASN a contiguous IPv6 block, and moved
ME> everyone over to IPv6, we would REDUCE the size of the routing table
ME> by a factor of 8.28. That would gain several years of growth before
ME> the routing table is the size it is now.

Exactly.  Fragmentation doesn't help...

ME> Don't hand these out in contiguous blocks, though. One simple
ME> procedure would just be to hand out the first /48 from, say, a /38
ME> and reserve the rest of the /38 for future growth of that ASN.

...and was/is caused by stride-n allocation policies where "n" is too
small.  (Would any sane software developer use strictly skip lists and
unsorted arrays?)

Exponential problems need logarithmic solutions.

ME> I am sure that better procedures could be arrived at

"Allocate from the middle of the largest contiguous block.  Align as
appropriate."

Exponential problems need logarithmic solutions.

ME> With luck, that would snowball into actual usage.

It depends how forward-thinking people are.  A carrot now to avoid a
stick later would appear enticing...

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/
davidc at brics.com -*- jfconmaapaq at intc.net -*- sam at everquick.net
Ditto for broken OOO autoresponders and foolish AV software backscatter.