shim6 @ NANOG (forwarded note from John Payne)

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Sun Mar 5 07:20:05 UTC 2006

Thus spake "Mark Newton" <newton at internode.com.au>
> On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 09:50:55PM +0100, Iljitsch van Beijnum wrote:
> > On 3-mrt-2006, at 21:43, Brandon Ross wrote:
> > >What's worse is that unless people start changing their tune soon
> > >and make the ownership of IP space official, this will be a black
> > >market (like it is now, just much bigger).
> >
> > But that will end as soon as interdomain routing is protected by
> > certificates given out by the RIRs.
>
> No, it'll end as soon as those certificates become mandatory.
>
> Which will, in my humble estimation, happen at some point near the
> year 4523.

I agree that RIR certs will never become truly mandatory, but it'll be a
Good Idea(tm) to have one to prevent hijacking.

However, some bright accountant at a big telco is going to figure out it's
not RIR certs they want to see -- they'll want to issue their own certs to
squeeze revenue from non-customers.  "You want to buy transit from our peers
instead of us?  That's great.  But, if you want reliable access to our
customers from your PI block, you have to pay $100/mo for a routing slot."
Bingo, the swamp problem becomes self-correcting.

Stephen Sprunk        "Stupid people surround themselves with smart
CCIE #3723           people.  Smart people surround themselves with
K5SSS         smart people who disagree with them."  --Aaron Sorkin