shim6 @ NANOG (forwarded note from John Payne)

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Sat Mar 4 01:26:52 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 10:30:44AM +0000, Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com wrote:

> > > If you feel you should qualify as an LIR,
> >
> > With RIPE, an LIR is simply an organization that pays the membership
> > fee and thus gets to submit requests for address space and AS
> > numbers. ARIN doesn't seem to use this terminology except in their
> > IPv6 address allocation policy.
>
> That's what we were talking about. Shim6 and IPv6. The term
> LIR is used in IPv6 allocation policy in all regions and refers
> to an entity that assigns /48 blocks to its subscribers. Such
> an entity can receive a /32 from ARIN or RIPE or APNIC or LACNIC
> or AFRINIC.
>
> --Michael Dillon

	hum... so what happens if i chose to delegated /56's to my
	customers?  does that invalidate my LIR status 'cause i'm  not
	toeing the /48 line?

	presuming of course i have LIR status along w/ the /32 that has ben
	delegated to me.

	to borrow a line, "some days your the IANA, some days your the endnode"

--bill