absense of multicast deployment

John Kristoff jtk at ultradns.com
Sat Mar 4 00:00:10 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 04:02:00PM -0500, Marshall Eubanks wrote:
> By everything I can tell, it's roughly about 10% for global
> deployment, see
>
> http://www.multicasttech.com/status

10% by one measure.  That is perhaps the most positive spin on
what we can see.  All that tells us is the AS view.  To some
extent netblocks, but that is really still based on origin AS
also. It says nothing about which interfaces inside and behind
an AS have PIM enabled and that is what really matters.  I suspect
real multicast reachability and deployment is quite a bit lower than
10%.  I have no idea how to go about measuring it though, but 10%
would have to be the best we could do if all hidden interfaces were
enabed.

> By any measure, multicast deployment is much larger than IPv6
> deployment at present, and it is growing.
> I will be glad to argue the point to any length you might desire.

You know me Marshall, I care about multicast, but I'm not sure
I'd go around comparing multicast to IPv6, that doesn't help.  :-)

John