shim6 @ NANOG (forwarded note from John Payne)

Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com
Thu Mar 2 10:07:33 UTC 2006

> >  The scope of
> > that policy mediation function depends strongly on
> > people like you
> > saying "at a high level, this is the kind of
> > decision I am not happy
> > with the hosts making".
>
> Resounding YES - I specifically DON'T want end-hosts
> to be able to make these decisions, but need to be
> able to multihome.

When I see comments like this I wonder whether people
understand what shim6 is all about. First of all, these
aren't YOUR hosts. They belong to somebody else. If you
are an access provider then these hosts belong to a customer
that is paying you to carry packets. This customer also
pays another ISP for the same service and the hosts
are making decisions about whether to use your service
or your competitors.

If you are a hosting provider, then these hosts, owned
by a third party, are making decisions about whether to
send you packets through one or another AS.

Is there something inherently wrong with independent
organizations deciding where to send their packets?

--Michael Dillon

P.S. I don't believe that shim6 will ever succeed.