the need for shim6

Edward B. DREGER eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Thu Mar 2 01:51:29 UTC 2006

I hesitate to make an analogy, lest the analogy wars begin...

Sometimes I am forced to use a telephone.  I periodically get dead air
or a fast busy.  Sadly, my phone skills are rusted.  Can someone please
tell me how I select the switches and trunks through which my call is
routed?  Thanks.

Oh, and for those who might suggest "calling card":  It doesn't work as
often as one might hope.  There have, however, been times where PCS to
CC to local number gets through when PCS to local does not.

It appears that endpoints generally trust networks to... well... run the
network.  Don't like it?  Build your own network.  Now we're back to PI
space and table size.

Moore's Law!  (Anyone up for corollary to Godwin's Law in which the
trigger is "Moore's Law"?)

In the "radical proposal" thread, the bottom line was that providers
would rather have big[ger] routing tables than cooperate.  Fine.  It
appears that we're now pitting routing table size against handing over
control to endpoints.

Detection of sarcasm and hyperbole is left as an exercise to the reader.
;-)

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/
davidc at brics.com -*- jfconmaapaq at intc.net -*- sam at everquick.net
Ditto for broken OOO autoresponders and foolish AV software backscatter.