shim6 @ NANOG (forwarded note from John Payne)

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Thu Mar 2 00:24:22 UTC 2006

On 1-Mar-2006, at 18:29, Randy Bush wrote:

>> You will note I have glossed over several hundred minor details (and
>> several hundred more not-so-minor ones). The protocols are not yet
>> published; there is no known implementation.
>
> possibly this contributes to the sceptisim with which this is viewed?

Quite probably.

However, if we're waiting for an implementation before we give our
requirements for the protocol that was implemented, we should prepare
to be disappointed.

("Yossarian!")

>> A small-to-medium, multi-homed, tier-n ISP can get PI space from
>> their RIR, and don't need to worry about shim6 at all. Ditto larger
>> ISPs, up to and including the largest.
>
> as it is not yet clear if small isps can get pi space, [...]

Actually, this part is most definitely non-fiction.

According to the harmonised IPv6 management policy in effect across
all the RIRs, anybody who can demonstrate an even vaguely plausible
plan to connect 200 IPv6 customers within two years qualifies for a /
32 PI allocation.

I've assisted many small, tier-N ISPs to do just this (including
hosting companies, for whom the connected customers were colocated
customer servers).

Joe