shim6 @ NANOG (forwarded note from John Payne)

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Wed Mar 1 15:45:18 UTC 2006

On 1-Mar-2006, at 10:33, John Payne wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2006, at 1:52 AM, Joe Abley wrote:
>
>> Shim6 also has some features which aren't possible with the swamp
>> -- for example, it allows *everybody* to multi-home, down to
>> people whose entire infrastructure consists of an individual
>> device, and to do so in a scaleable way.
>
> Only if *everybody* has a shim6 capable stack...

Not quite -- the practical usefulness of the multi-homing increases
with the deployment of shim6-capable stacks. You could imagine a
threshold of server and host upgrades which would provide useful
multi-homing a good proportion of the time without universal deployment.

If Linux and the currently-supported variants of Windows were to be
updated to support shim6, and we waited through three or four widely-
publicised security vulnerabilities which required OS/kernel
upgrades, perhaps that would be sufficient deployment for the
benefits of shim6 to be felt, most of the time. My hands are waving
again, of course.

I feel fairly certain I have exceeded some kind of unenforced posting
threshold to this list in the last twelve hours. I will try hard to
be quiet for a while, now :-)

Joe