shim6 @ NANOG (forwarded note from John Payne)

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Wed Mar 1 06:52:38 UTC 2006

On 1-Mar-2006, at 01:06, Christian Kuhtz wrote:

>> However, the only alternative on the table is a v6 swamp.
>
> Would that really be so bad?  I keep being bonked on the head by
> this thing called Moore's law.

I don't know that anybody can tell how bad it might be. It'd be a
shame if it turned out to be really bad, and we had no fallback plan.

Shim6 also has some features which aren't possible with the swamp --
for example, it allows *everybody* to multi-home, down to people
whose entire infrastructure consists of an individual device, and to
do so in a scaleable way.

> I think until you slay the daemon of default global reachability
> (which is counter to everything IP), draining the swamp is an
> exercise in futility.  Controlling the flooding OTOH is a creative
> posture.

The point is that in v6, there is not yet a swamp to drain.

Joe