Fanless x86 Server Recommendations

Mike Tancsa mike at sentex.net
Fri Jun 30 15:05:37 UTC 2006

At 02:25 PM 29/06/2006, Ray Van Dolson wrote:

>We're looking to acquire a couple small servers that can act as routers for
>us at remote locations.
>
>To minimize hardware issues, I'd love to get something that has no fans, can
>still run a fairly decent processor and preferably no hard drive (easy with
>an IDE CF adapter).
>
>It would need a couple PCI slots for quad port ethernet cards and a fairly
>robust tolerance to temperature variations.

Many mini-itx boxes dont have 2 PCI slots.  You might be better going
with a mini-itx solution and then use a small switch and trunk the
NIC to act as a VLAN router.  We have been using various embedded
devices from Commell
(http://www.commell.com.tw/Product/SBC/LV-667.HTM). They seem to work
well and can deal with 45C operating temps and have decent hardware
watchdog support (FreeBSD version at http://www.tancsa.com/watchdog/).

         ---Mike