IP failover/migration question.

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Jun 27 17:49:44 UTC 2006

> Uptime might not matter for small hosts that do mom and pop websites
> or so-called "beta" blog-toys, but every time Level3 takes a dump,
> it's my wallet that feels the pain. It's actually a rather frustrating
> situation for people who aren't big enough to justify a /19 and an
> AS#, but require geographically dispersed locations answering on the
> same IP(s).

I'm not sure why you think you need to be that big to get portable IP
space.  Policy 2002-3 allows for the issuance of a /22 to any organization
which can show a need and the ability to utilize at least 50% of a /22
with multihoming.  An ASN can be obtained pretty easily if you intend
to multihome.  About the only thing that might stand in the way of
a small organization is the up front cost, but, even that is less than
$2000.

Owen