backbone threats [Re: key change for TCP-MD5]

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Tue Jun 27 05:05:20 UTC 2006

On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> There is a fine line between being dilligent about security, and wasting
> your time trying to solve problems that don't exist, which I think has
> been crossed in the discussion.

While TCP-MD5 could be useful in some cases (mainly in Internet
Exchanges), I mostly agree with RAS that the big picture isn't
necessarily clear.

Hence, this is my chance to plug my view of it:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-savola-rtgwg-backbone-attacks-01.txt

It's a short document, less than 15 pages.  Comments are welcome.

The goal of the document is to be able to better convey the real story
both between the operator-operator and operator-IETF interfaces :-)