Who wants to be in charge of the Internet today?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Mon Jun 26 19:43:28 UTC 2006

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Wayne E. Bouchard wrote:

> something like 75% service restoration. The independant efforts of
> individuals and individual companies will probably be the best
> mechanism for repairing any injury to the 'net.

Totally agree.

What needs to be in place are lines of communication between these
indviduals and their management, both within and beteen companies and
authorities. Much can be accomplished by information spreading regarding
what equipment is lacking etc.

If everybody just agrees to fix it all, and deal with the commercial
issues afterwards, wonders can be achieved in very short time. But
will, authority, communication and information need to exist.

The biggest example I can think of was during the worst storm in the last
50 years here in sweden, there was much devistation in telecommunications
and power, most of it power related (power lines torn down). In the EU
there are contingency plans to handle this and countries can request help
from other countries to get access to their disaster relief equipment such
as generators etc. What DOES need to be in place is for someone to pay for
transportation of this equipment. The head of the swedish state agency to
handle these didn't have authority and budget to pay for the
transportation, so he had to call and more or less beg one of the power
companies to pay for this. This delayed the delivery of the equipment by
some time, totally unnecessary.

So a very important part of disaster planning is "how do we communicate
with everybody involved?" and "what are our authorities regarding money
and resources". If there is a will, there is a way :P

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se