Tor and network security/administration

Todd Vierling tv at pobox.com
Thu Jun 22 16:37:44 UTC 2006

On 6/22/06, Lionel Elie Mamane <lionel at mamane.lu> wrote:

> > All of my discussions with Tor people have indicated [they] do not
> > think I should have the right to deny traffic based on IP address,
> > and that I should find other methods of authenticating traffic into
> > my networks.
>
> Isn't it rather that they think that filtering on the base of IP
> address is broken in today's Internet, even if tor didn't exist?

This has been part of my point throughout this thread, in that:

> substituting IP address for people is very, very, imprecise.

Tor just happens to point this out very vividly, and makes the
formerly small distinction between social and technological problems a
bit moer noticeable.

Anti-spam folk face a lot of the same issues.  Ideally, there should
be zero need for content-based mail filtering, because that doesn't
reflect the intent of blocking spam (which is *really* based on
"solicited" status).  However, the *social* issues of today's spam
abuse often make content-based filtering a necessary evil.