Tor and network security/administration

Steve Atkins steve at blighty.com
Wed Jun 21 22:18:17 UTC 2006

On Jun 21, 2006, at 2:53 PM, Jeremy Chadwick wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 21, 2006 at 05:02:47PM -0400, Todd Vierling wrote:
>> If the point of the technology is to add a degree of anonymity, you
>> can be pretty sure that a marker expressly designed to state the
>> message "Hi, I'm anonymous!" will never be a standard feature of said
>> technology.  That's a pretty obvious non-starter.
>
> Which begs the original question of this thread which I started: with
> that said, how exactly does one filter this technology?

Why bother?

If the traffic is abusive, why do you care it comes from Tor? If there's
a pattern of abusive traffic from a few hundred IP addresses, block
those addresses. If you're particularly prone to idiots from Tor (IRC,
say) then preemptively blocking them might be nice, but I doubt the
number of new Tor nodes increases at a fast enough rate for it to be
terribly interesting.

If you want to take legal action you know exactly who is responsible
for the traffic, so whether it's coming from a Tor exit node or not
isn't
terribly interesting in that case either.

If you still do want to then there are some very obvious ways to do
so, combining a Tor client and a server you run.

(And this is from the perspective of someone who does not believe
there is any legitimate use for Tor at all.)

Cheers,
   Steve