Tor and network security/administration

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Sat Jun 17 15:34:53 UTC 2006

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 06:29:02 PDT, Jeremy Chadwick said:

> A colleague of mine stated his opinion of my opinion: "Your problem
> with Tor is that you can't control it, isn't it?"  And he's right --
> that's the exact problem I have with it.
>
> Comments/concerns?

You're complaining about a network of several hundred IP addresses that are,
for the most part, documented as being the source of anonymized connections.

Obviously, if you're worried about *that*, you've already solved the problem of
identifying a connection as coming from one of the millions of machines that
has backdoor software on it, and thus potentially a port forwarder(*).

Please share your secret.  The rest of us would love to have a net where Tor
nodes are a "problem" big enough to worry about.

(*) Yes, Tor intentionally anonymizes the true source *very* well. On the flip
side, what are your *REAL* chances of tracking somebody through more than 2 or
3 hops across cablemodems, unless you manage to mobilize everybody by invoking
one of the Four Horsemen of the Internet (copyright, terrorism, drug dealers,
and child pornographers)?