Tor and network security/administration

Chris Kuethe chris.kuethe at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 14:25:07 UTC 2006

On 6/17/06, Jeremy Chadwick <nanog at jdc.parodius.com> wrote:
> The problem I see is that this technology will be used (literally,
> not ideally) solely for harassment (especially via IRC).  I do not
> see any other practical use for this technology other than that.
> The whole "right to privacy/anonymity" argument is legitimate, but I
> do not see people using* Tor for legitimate purposes.

My legitimate use of Tor is because I object to companies following me
around on the net. Yes, I block ads and reject cookies, too. I choose
to not disclose my browsing to others. I get enough random commercial
crap foisted upon me that I have no time or patience for the targetted
commercial crap. To paraphrase Zimmerman's philosophy of PGP - you may
be having a hot affair, or you may be doing something politically
sensitive, but it's nobody's business but yours.

As for an attempt at a technical control, maybe set up a box with Tor
on it, get a list of exit servers and null-route them automagically.

CK