WSJ: Big tech firms seeking power

Jeff Shultz jeffshultz at wvi.com
Sat Jun 17 00:49:33 UTC 2006

David Lesher wrote:

> Speaking on Deep Background, the Press Secretary whispered:
>>
>>> I wonder just how much power it takes to cool 450,000 servers.
>> KwH = $111,000 /month in cooling.
>
> I don't know the area; but gather it's hydro territory?
>
> How about water-source heat pumps? It's lots easier to cool
> 25C air into say 10-15C water than into 30C outside air.
>
> Open loop water source systems do have their issues [algae, etc]
> but can save a lot of power....

The Dalles, OR is on the Columbia River just upriver of Portland by 80
miles or so. It has a large dam spanning what used to be Celilo Falls in
it's front yard.

Hydro territory doesn't even begin to define it... :-)

"Eco-freak" territory also doesn't begin to define it, so the idea of
piping water off the Columbia and returning it even 1/2 degree warmer is
a non-starter.

I'm amazed they let them put up tall cooling towers in "the historic,
scenic Columbia River Gorge...." (sorry, old political battle flashback)