h.gtld-servers.net offline...

Christopher L. Morrow christopher.morrow at verizonbusiness.com
Thu Jun 15 15:12:42 UTC 2006

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006, Will Hargrave wrote:

> Joe Abley wrote:
> > I think you're mistaken about the server being off-line, since I can see
> > it just fine from many places. The RIPE NCC dnsmon tool can also see it
> > from its various probes:
> I did (and do) check on multiple ASs that I run and asked a few others to
> check, also checked looking glasses and so on.

So, out of curiousity, i loss of 1 of 13 gtld servers important? I believe
(though I could be mistaken) that these are actually anycast as well. I
think dropping even 2-3 of the servers probably wouldn't affect overall
performance would it? won't bind pick the 'best' place to ask regardless
and stick/prefer that over 'slow' servers?

It's certainly an interesting data point, but how does it affect the
network as a whole? (perhaps this was the 1 hour/year permitted for maint
on the network/device in question?)