Interesting new spam technique - getting a lot more popular.

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Wed Jun 14 07:18:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 04:46:31AM +0000, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

> is it really that hard to make your foudry/extreme/cisco l3 switch vlan
> and subnet??? Is this a education thing or a laziness thing? Is this
> perhaps covered in a 'bcp' (not even an official IETF thing, just a
> hosters bible sort of thing) ?

Simple: Subnets are hard, customers are stupid, and ARIN is not exactly a
hosters best friend.

When a hosting customer asks for 5 IPs today and 25 IPs tomorrow, it is
infinitely easier for the hosting folks to just slap them into /24s and
say "ok uhm you are now .69-.94" than to try and explain subnets, cidr,
reserving IP space in cidr sized blocks etc to the customer. Hosters are
also generally under-equipped in the paperwork and detailed documentation
department, so they tend to run their IP allocations into the ground while
attempting to explain their need for more space. CIDR allocations are
"wasteful" to them, especially when a customer needs to expand from 30 IPs
to 35 IPs and crosses a new boundry.

Incase you've never seen hoster configs, they generally look a little
something like this:

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
ip address 1.1.2.1 255.255.255.0 secondary
ip address 1.1.3.1 255.255.255.0 secondary
ip address 1.1.4.1 255.255.255.0 secondary
ip address 1.1.5.1 255.255.255.0 secondary

Anything else is quite honestly beyond 99% of hosters out there, they're
still blissfully calling these things "class c's". I've seen some truly
godawful thins configured by hosters, like chains of 3548s all linking
back to a single router interface in ways you can't even imagine.

If you made it dirt simple for them they would probably be doing something
better (I usually point folks who ask to pvlans, then take the opportunity
to make a hasty retreat while they are distracted), but otherwise they
don't see the benefit in it. Why bother configuring your router better
when you can just send your $5/hr monkey over with a redhat cd and have
them reinstall, right? :)