Interesting new spam technique - getting a lot more popular.

Payam Chychi payam at bhsecurity.com
Wed Jun 14 05:09:43 UTC 2006

That’s a very good question... I was also under the assumption that most
providers would have adopted new practices rather then simply dumping
customers on a single subnet/vlan... unless were going back in time :P

As far as the "special daemon program" goes.. any packet sniffer will
reveal all needed information to jack an ip.
I'm actually surprised that its taken spammers this long to figure out
and utilize such vulnerabilities in networks... seeing how spamming is a
multi billion $ industry...

few ways to limit ip jackings... keep your subnets small as possible,
force the use of private vlans, as a provider... you should provide a
way for your clients to be able to view their traffic patterns... in
case of a hijack, they would notice the increased traffic and could
bring it to the providers attention sooner then later... monitor your
switch ports (snmp?) for bursts of outbound traffic (bandwidth / pps)...

-- Payam Chychi