wrt joao damas' DLV talk on wednesday

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Jun 13 16:07:28 UTC 2006

Hi,

On Jun 13, 2006, at 8:47 AM, David W. Hankins wrote:
> Do you imagine that, if IANA/ICANN/USDOT/someone were told to
> implement a policy to sign the root, that they would have trouble
> identifying the owners of the TLD's reliably?

Yes.  And it isn't a question of signing the root -- that just makes
it more ... fun.  It is a generic authentication problem that crops
up anytime there is any change to the root.  Fortunately, the root
community is relatively small and well defined and IANA has evolved
processes that, while sub-optimal, do generally work.

> If so, wouldn't this problem already exist today in the information
> already present in the root zone?

Yes.  However, I believe you all are proposing to remove the
"relatively small and well defined" component that helps IANA deal
with the issue on a daily basis.  A hard problem.

Rgds,
-drc