Tracing network procedure for stolen computers

Colin Johnston colinj at mx5.org.uk
Mon Jun 12 19:45:44 UTC 2006

Hi folks,
Quick security tracing question, flame me if you think offnetwork topic.

Earlier this month my daughters Ibook was stolen, oh well that is life I
guess.
Anyway updated mail server software for full debug and IP log since noticed
that mail account was accessed yesterday.
I am now hoping it is access'd again, system was setup to pull each min so
when they(thugs) access internet again hopefully will honeytrap IP number.
What does one do next ? I guess inform police etc but would this be too slow
?? Do I contact ARIN/RIPE contacts direct ??

I know about software that should have been installed for tracing if stolen
but wondered about in the real network world how useful this was and if any
items recovered ??

Colin Johnston
Satsig sysadmin