wrt joao damas' DLV talk on wednesday

Paul Vixie paul at vix.com
Mon Jun 12 16:48:11 UTC 2006

> Is there a better way to have handled the situation?  Perhaps.

indeed, i should have registered as a speaker and sat behind joao while
he spoke.

> The positive outcome of this issue is that we are discussing how to handle
> "drop-ins" (freebie conference attenders?).

agreed, there's a salient issue underlying all of this chaff.  for example,
if someone only wants to come to nanog for the hallway discussions and not
attend any of the meetings or bofs (or eat any of the food, or use the
wireless), are they welcome?  before last week i'd've said "yes."  manners
in this case means "what should others be allowed to do" rather than "what
each of us would like to be able to do", or in other words, "what will scale?"

> I still don't see that you fall into this category with regard to this
> incident.

from my personal e-mail so far, that view is in the minority.  ("this is
not your grandfather's nanog.")

on the other hand i really would rather talk about DLV than "meeting manners."