IP failover/migration question.

Andrew Warfield andrew.warfield at cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 12 03:55:42 UTC 2006

> I think there is some cisco magic you could do with 'dial backup'... you
> may even be able to rig this up with an ibgp session (even if that goes
> out over the external provider) to swing the routes.
>
> NOTE: this could make your site oscillate if there are connectivity issues
> between the sites, it could get messy FAST, and it could be hard to
> troubleshoot. Basically look before you leap :)
>
> This link may b e of assistance:
> http://tinyurl.com/l8zpm

This link asks me for a login...

> to get greed into it.. are you sure you want to be 'stuck' with a single
> carrier? :) What if the carrier dies wouldn't you want redundant carrier
> links as well?

I'd love a multi-ISP solution.  I just assumed that anything involving
more than a single upstream AS across the two links would leave me
having to consider BGP convergence instead of just IGP reconfig.  I
didn't presume that that would likely be something that happened in
seconds.  If there's a fast approach to be had here, I'd love to hear
it.

thanks,
a.