2006.06.07 NANOG-NOTES Smart Network Data Services

Matthew Petach mpetach at netflight.com
Sat Jun 10 01:42:13 UTC 2006

On 6/9/06, Simon Waters <simonw at zynet.net> wrote:
> On Friday 09 Jun 2006 12:22, Matthew Petach wrote:
> > SNDS tomorrow
> > Usability
>
> The sign-up process is very painful.
>
> Microsoft Passports really aren't appropriate for business accounts, my
> employer don't have a mothers maiden name, or a first pet. At one point it
> claimed the name of my first pet must have more than 5 characters in it ?
> (Perhaps they should aim for things likely to have more information in them,
> besides my mothers maiden name has been published in the newspapers).
>
> I sent a request for help, as the process fell over at the stage of
> authorising the first address range I requested. With a failure to handle the
> URL sent for me to click.

Interesting--it's good for me to hear what people are saying about it,
as I can't access it myself--my MSN accounts were all locked, and
part of the termination agreement stipulated that I'm forbidden from
accessing their services.  It does mean the service is limiting
its own scope by requiring Passport-based logins like that, as
I'll never be able to use it to see if any of the domains/netblocks
I'm responsible for might be originating spam.

Perhaps if Microsoft is truly interested in helping clean up the
Internet, they might lift the Passport login requirement?

Matt
[tempted to set Reply-To: to msn-snds at microsoft.com, but that
might be considered antisocial.  ^_^ ]