Zebra/linux device production networking? (summary)

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Jun 7 17:52:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Nick Burke wrote:

> What about better case situations?* IE:
>
> toe cards
> custom kernel
> no moving parts (ie: hard drive, maybe fans if possible)
> up-to-date software packages with internal coders to fix ugly bugs, etc
> actual research into what packages & hardware would be best

I didn't notice anyone mention Imagestream, who sell Linux based routers
using a custom distro and no moving parts other than fans.  Storage is
flash.  I've helped a client manage several of them for several years.
IMO, they're not bad as CPE, but I don't think we could use them if we
wanted to on most of our network.  Some of the features we need just
aren't available.

As others have mentioned, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have some
people very comfortable with Linux and IP routing on Linux on staff.

At one point, they had 4 full BGP feeds going into one Imagestream Gateway
router, which is a P4, upgraded to 512MB RAM.  With 2 full views now, they
have 308MB free.  It's an older installation, predating the addition of
zebra/quagga to their distro, so it's still running gated_public, which
works, but is fairly lacking in BGP knobs.