Hot weather and power outages continue

Justin M. Streiner streiner at cluebyfour.org
Mon Jul 24 17:58:16 UTC 2006

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006, Christian Nielsen wrote:

> 20 - 30 years ago, Air Conditioning in a house was more of a luxury. For
> us, it was a Swamp Cooler. Most new houses today are built with AC and
> it is becoming standard practice to install them on older houses. So the
> load on the system will only get worse if things start to heat up.

Aging distribution plants are have caused lots of problems.  We had an
18-hour power outage in Oakland (neighborhood just east of downtown
Pittsburgh) about 10 days ago when two separate 25kV feeders from the
local substation blew at the same time.  Local utility crews ended up
having to replace around 400' of fried underground feeder cable.

Our core sites are on redundant power, but in many cases this didn't
include the chiller plant.  Some of the rooms got hot, but we didn't lose
any core equipment.

Other large organizations in the area were not so lucky.

jms