Canned Emails to Send to Infected End-Users

Steve Linford linford at spamhaus.org
Sat Jul 22 09:32:43 UTC 2006

On 21 Jul 2006, at 18:52, Rick Kunkel wrote:

> Does anyone have a line on any canned emails to send to end-users?  Do
> such things exist?  I have a few in my arsenal, but I'm getting
> sick of
> writing them.  I just realized today that I don't have one for a
> customer
> who's is possession of a zombie spambot computer and is spewing emails
> (blocked on my router from going out) like crazy...

If anyone comes up with some good canned text we'd love a copy to
distribute to other ISPs how have the same problem.

It's a mammoth support task trying to explain to a non-technical user
that his box is infected and what to do about it.

Walled-Gardens (where infected users are ACL'd and redirected to a
web page telling them they have an infection and what to do about it)
need good text too, I'm not sure I've seen one that does the job of
reducing the ISP's tech support task well enough.

We have some text in our FAQs for the Spamhaus XBL which may be
useful, it explains to the user what's going on and what to do about
it, some of the text form our FAQ might adapt to canned emails for
customers:
<http://www.spamhaus.org/faq/answers.lasso?section=Spamhaus%20XBL>

   Steve Linford
   The Spamhaus Project