Deaggregation Disease

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Fri Jul 21 18:17:39 UTC 2006

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 13:59:35 EDT, Jon Lewis said:

> As we push closer to the ipv4 route table limits of cisco's 6500/7600
> series (with anything less than Sup720-3bxl), I suspect lots of networks
> are going to be forced to start doing some sort of filtering of routes
> beyond just refusing >24-bit networks or cisco's going to sell a lot more
> Sup720-3bxl's, FAN2 trays, and power supplies in the next year or two.

The big question is, of course, whether to upgrade a 6500 and keep it on
life support, or bite the bullet and go for a whole new box.  How much time
a -3bxl and careful filtering will buy you does depend heavily on where in
the Internet you are - but I'm willing to bet that a good number of sites
will go for the fork lift upgrade because there are *other* pressing things
coming up that the 6500 won't do either.

Remember - it only takes *one* truly mission-critical "must do" that a 6500
can't, and it's off to a less stressful corner of your network for that long
slide into retirement (on the other hand, I'm sure in 2016, there will *still*
be 6500's installed, just like I'm sure there's still 1996-vintage gear still
out there now...)

I'll concede that Jon is at least partially right - *somebody* is going to
be selling gear... ;)