Web typo-correction (Re: Sitefinder II, the sequel...)

Edward B. DREGER eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Fri Jul 14 16:31:23 UTC 2006

(Note that I've not examined OpenDNS's offering, so I'm _not_ pretending
to comment on what they do.)

Let's quit looking at overly-simplistic correction mechanisms.  Do spell
checkers force autocorrection with only a single choice per misspelled
word?

Return an A RR that points <correction service>-controlled system.  Said
system examines HTTP "Host" header, then returns a page listing multiple
possibilities.

"The site you specified does not exist.  Here is a list of sites that
you may be trying to access: ..."

I'm generally ignoring other protocols to limit the discussion scope.
However, one can see how SMTP and FTP might be similarly handled.  (IMHO
not as good as a SRV-ish system that could return NXDOMAIN per service,
but actually somewhat usable today.)

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/
davidc at brics.com -*- jfconmaapaq at intc.net -*- sam at everquick.net
Ditto for broken OOO autoresponders and foolish AV software backscatter.