Sitefinder II, the sequel...

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Jul 11 11:38:48 UTC 2006

On Jul 11, 2006, at 3:09 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 11:19:51PM -0700,
>  Steve Sobol <sjsobol at JustThe.net> wrote
>  a message of 16 lines which said:
>
>> There's a big difference, of course, between INTENTIONALLY pointing
>> your computers at DNS servers that do this kind of thing, and having
>> it done for you without your knowledge and/or consent.
>
> As Steven Bellovin pointed out, most OpenDNS users will not choose it:
> it will be choosen for them by their corporate IT department or by
> their Internet access provider.

So?

DNSBLs are bad because most users won't choose it, it will be chosen
for them.

PPPoE is bad because most users won't choose it, it will be chosen
for them.

IP is bad because most users won't choose it, it will be chosen for
them.

Choice still exists.  People who abdicate their choice, either
through laziness, ignorance, other willful choices (e.g. employment),
etc., are still making a choice.  You cannot say something is
horrible because they do not check every individual computer that
might in some way be affected.

Put another way, if you run a large network, I guarantee you make
choices every day that affect your users.  Do you check with each one
of them?

I didn't think so.

--
TTFN,