Sitefinder II, the sequel...

Niels Bakker niels=nanog at bakker.net
Mon Jul 10 18:41:24 UTC 2006

* markjr at easydns.com (Mark Jeftovic) [Mon 10 Jul 2006, 15:55 CEST]:
>I think the openDNS approach is far different from the Verisign
>sitefinder debacle if only for the important reason that using openDNS
>is voluntary and using sitefinder wasn't.

Correct.  OpenDNS is not abusing a monopoly position here.

>Also, sitefinder created a wildcard DNS record where none existed
>before, breaking all kinds of applications in the process, openDNS
>doesn't do this.

Wrong.  Asking their "big caching nameserver" for gibberish returns "IN
A 208.67.219.40" instead of NXDOMAIN.  Same breakage occurs, although
they return NXDOMAIN instead of NOERROR when queried about MX or AAAA
records, so ironically damage for IPv6-enabled applications is limited.

They seem to be using Yahoo! as search engine there.

220 reject.opendns.com - OpenDNS Mail Rejection Service 1.2 (No mail accepted here)

Remind you of anything - what was it called, chuck?  It's already broken.

>So at the end of the day, people are FREE to decide what resolvers to
>use and whoever comes along to offer their idea of "value adds" can go
>right ahead without borking the internet.

Several people have eloquently expressed why creating different views of
a global namespace is a bad idea before on this mailing list.

>Personally I think openDNS is an idea whose time has come and that Dave
>Ulevitch and is crew are going to hit one out of the ballpark with this.

Have you switched your company over yet?

Regards,

	-- Niels.