Copper thefts in california

Steve Sobol sjsobol at JustThe.net
Sat Jul 8 00:09:15 UTC 2006

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006, Sean Donelan wrote:

> In addition to the traditional backhoe threat, as the price of copper
> increased so has the threat of people stealing telephone trunk cables
> containing copper wire.

Yup. One of the most recent San Bernardino County thefts was right here in
the Victor Valley... about 25 minutes west of my house IIRC.

>   Since Jan. 1, there have been 148 reports of copper wire theft in San
>   Bernardino County, said sheriff's spokeswoman Jodi Miller.

Given the sheer size of San Bernardino County (it's the largest county in
the US - about 2 1/2 hours from eastern border to western border, and at
least that far from north to south) - as well as the fact that much of
the county consists of uninhabited desert areas - I'm surprised it doesn't
happen more often here.

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek ** Java/VB/VC/PHP/Perl ** Linux/*BSD/Windows
Apple Valley, California     PGP:0xE3AE35ED

It's all fun and games until someone starts a bonfire in the living room.