DNS Based Load Balancers

David Temkin dave at rightmedia.com
Mon Jul 3 17:06:16 UTC 2006

Without getting into a massive back and forth, I just want to make 3
points:

1) Websphere is proprietary to IBM and requires their servers.  It's not
scalable to other applications. It's also not targeted to the same
market as, say, F5.

2) There are definitely protocols that require GSLB that aren't HTTP.
Off the top of my head: RTSP/MMS, VoIP services.  I'd say that, at the
very least, VoIP protocols are the killer app for GSLB moreso than HTTP.
Surely the internet isn't only the web, right?

3) TCP-redirect solutions, such as the Radware one you pointed out, do
not work in large scales.  Have you ever met anyone who's actually
implemented that in a large scale?  The solution they point to they
don't even sell anymore (the WSD-DS/NP).  If you talk to their sales,
they'll point you at the DNS based solution because they know that doing
Triangulation is a joke.  Triangulation and NAT-based methods both
crumble under any sort of DoS and provide no site isolation.

Pete Tenereillo's papers are interesting, but they're also slanted and
ignore other implementation methods of DNS GSLB.  How about handing out
NS records instead of A records?   That's an method that would make
large parts of his papers irrelevant.

My main point here is that each solution has it's evils, and when faced
with a choice, he needs to evaluate what method works best for him.
Anyone could just as easily say that Triangulation and NAT are a hack
just the same as GSLB DNS is a hack.   Akamai and UltraDNS will actually
sell you GSLB without even buying localized hardware to do it - are
these bad services, too?  Patrick said it best: Just in case we like to
decide things for ourselves.

-Dave