MPLS vs PTP

Andrew Staples andrews at ltinet.net
Mon Jan 30 18:32:22 UTC 2006

As we roll out a new network, on one of our links it is remarkably cheaper
to run a T1 ptp vs. MPLS (running 66% data, 33% voice).  Based on comments
received from this list (much thanks,  you know who you are) MPLS
satisfaction seems to be determined by backbone noc competence, not the
technology itself.  So back to price....if I consider layer1 issues to be
equal in either scenario, and aggregation/meshing/hardware is not a real
concern, it seems to me that a correctly configured, directly connected pipe
would work as well as mpls, with the benefit of local control of my routers
and owning any incompetence.

If anyone has enlightening experiences of ptp vs. mpls, I'd appreciate
hearing about them.

Thanks,
Andrew