Destructive computer viruses from history

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Sat Jan 28 19:56:51 UTC 2006

Sean Donelan wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Gadi Evron wrote:
>
>>"Even so, 300,000 infected users worldwide is not a terribly large
>>amount when compared to previous worms like Sober or Mydoom. However,
>>with this worm it isn't the quantity of infected users, it is the
>>destructive payload which is most concerning."
>

> Vmyths used to be a great source for debunking a lot of the virus
> hype. Everything old seems to be new again.  In 1999, the Chernobyl
> virus was the end of the world.  It erased disks and BIOS of computers.
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/329688.stm

I would quote Dr. Alan Solomon here, but I have to ask for his
permission. You have the right of it.

Back then though, they had no way of knowing how many got infected,
further -- this was down-played by AV vendors until they had no other
choice, for it shows once again how the AV is not an all-powerful
solution for everything anymore.

	Gadi.