So -- what did happen to Panix?

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Fri Jan 27 16:54:23 UTC 2006

Thus spake <Michael.Dillon at btradianz.com>
>> seems to me that certified validation of prefix ownership and as
>> path are the only real way out of these problems that does not
>> teach us the 42 reasons we use a *dynamic* protocol.
>
> Wouldn't a well-operated network of IRRs used by 95% of
> network operators be able to meet all three of your
> requirements?

We have such a database (used by Verio and others), but the Panix incident
happened anyway due to bit rot.  We've got to find a way to fix the layer 8
problems before we can make improvements at layer 3.

Stephen Sprunk        "Stupid people surround themselves with smart
CCIE #3723           people.  Smart people surround themselves with
K5SSS         smart people who disagree with them."  --Aaron Sorkin