So -- what did happen to Panix?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Jan 27 01:01:39 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 04:22:29PM -0700, Josh Karlin wrote:
> The noise of origin changes is fairly heavy, somewhere in the low
> hundreds of alerts per day given a 3 day history window.  Supposing a
> falsely originated route was delayed, what is the chance of identifying
> and fixing it before the end of the delay period?  Do operators
> commonly catch misconfigurations on their own or do they usually find
> out about it from other operators due to service disruption?

	Are the origin changes for a small set of the prefixes
that tend to repeat (eg: connexion as planes move), or is it a different
set of prefixes day-to-day or week-to-week?

	I suspect there are the obvious prefixes that don't change
(eg: 12/8, 18/8, 35/8, 38/8)  but subparts of that may change, but
for most people with allocations in the range of 12-17 bits, I suspect
they won't change frequently.

	- jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net